Apple Tree Dental, a nationally recognized, innovative, and independent non-profit group practice; provides comprehensive care to all people, including those with special access needs who face barriers to care. Apple Tree Dental offers employment opportunities in our 9 Centers for Dental Health in the following communities; Coon Rapids, Mounds View, Minneapolis, Rochester, Fairmont, Madelia, Little Falls, Hawley, and Fergus Falls. Apple Tree also offers our providers optional employment opportunities at one of our 127 mobile community clinic sites.
We currently have Dental Therapy openings at our Little Falls, Fergus Falls, and Hawley locations. These positions included Full-time, Part-time, On-call/ Flexible staffing positions.
Job Title: Advanced Dental Therapist
Reports to: Center Director
Purpose of Position: As an integral part of our oral health care team, you will provide educational, clinical and therapeutic patient services to children and adults under the general supervision of a dentist in ur clinic(s) or at one or our community sites.
- Master’s degree in Dental Therapy/Advanced Dental Therapy from an accredited dental therapy program
- Knowledge of public health principles and practices preferred
- Active MN Dental Therapy license required
- Current CPR (BLS) from the American Heart Association or American Red Cross
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English required. Effective oral communication skills in additional languages preferred (based on clinic location)
- Successful completion of general and DHS background checks
Fundamental duties include (but are not limited to):
- Perform under the general supervision of a dentist with whom a Collaborative Management Agreement has been signed and registered with the MN Board of Dentistry
- Assess individuals requesting care, evaluate their dental/oral conditions, develop and carry out appropriate dental/oral treatment as authorized within the parameters of the collaborative management agreement and as described within the advanced dental therapist’s scope of practice and according to Minnesota 2009 Session Laws, Chapter 95, Article 3, Subd. 4, and Chapter 95, Article 3, Section 25; or refers individuals for specialty consultation or treatment in conformance with approved clinical protocols and guidelines
- Record patient-dental therapy transactions as they occur in the patient’s dental record so that the dental record accurately and completely reflects the nature of the contact, the condition of the patient and the care or treatment provided. In addition, the Dental Therapist shall complete referrals, electronic heath record data collections and other records or paper work as required from time to time by the company
- Compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and company rules, regulations, protocols and procedures governing the practice of dentistry and the clinical provision of dental care as well as those relating to, but not limited to, personnel issues, work place safety, public health and confidentiality
- Educate individuals in the nature of oral health related conditions and in the general promotion of oral health related disease prevention
- Assist in the provision of continuing education, on-the-job training, and the orientation of staff as requested
- As directed, perform other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives
- Serve/participate in special projects and other committees as assigned
- Attend all staff/department meetings
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Fundamental expectations of persons in this position include (but are not limited to):
- The passion to fully embrace and embody Apple Tree Dental’s mission, vision and values
- Comprehensive knowledge of primary dental care in various settings (outpatient clinic, nursing homes, group homes, Head Start centers, etc.)
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of modern dentistry and periodontal patient care
- Knowledge of the public health, social and economic factors which impact the overall health, and more specifically the oral health of Apple Tree’s patients
- Must be able to collaborate with other health care professionals from a variety of disciplines to achieve maximal program effectiveness and patient benefit
- The ability to creatively solve problems through individual and/or programmatic action
- The ability to utilize and/or learn computer skills and systems such as; but not limited to: Open Dental software, Microsoft Office, and other systems as needed
- Willingness to travel on occasion if requested
Physical Expectations: Those physical movements and the degree of mobility, manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination normally associated with dental assisting in general practice dentistry will be performed on a repetitive basis. Prolonged sitting, standing, bending and twisting will be performed on a frequent basis. You may be asked to participate in lifting up to 50 pounds and assist with moving heavy
carts (up to 75 lbs.) if applicable. The ability to distinguish letters and symbols as well as the ability to utilize telephones, computer terminals and copiers is required. Work under stressful conditions as well as irregular hours may be required. Frequent exposure to communicable disease, body fluids, toxic substances, medicinal preparations, radiation and other conditions common to a clinical environment may routinely be encountered
- Listens to, understands and appropriately responds to patient/customer needs. Meets the reasonable needs of all patient/family/customer groups and improves overall customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrates professional behavior with his/her work. Complies with personnel and departmental policies. Supports and participates in quality improvement activities.
- Works actively with others to get the job done. Consistently exhibits courteous behavior/actions, including maintaining a positive attitude.
- Supports and participates in changes and discussions regarding work practices.
- Acts and speaks respectfully regardless of the presence or absence of the person. Frequently offers praise to others for doing a good job. Listens to and respects the opinions of others, and maintains confidentiality.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm and commitment towards personal growth and development; completes and attends mandated educational courses. Maintains current licensure and certifications, if applicable. Attends and participates in departmental meetings, and if unable to attend proactively asks or gathers missed information.
- Addresses issues in a courteous and respectful manner. Maintains the same standard for all patients/families and co-workers. Supports co-workers and patients/families in a positive manner.
- Follows safety practices. Identifies problems and works to resolve safety issues as they occur and in accordance with policy, asking for assistance when necessary. Helps and teaches others.
Apple Tree Dental is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action & veteran friendly employer