Apple Tree Dental, a nationally recognized, innovative, and independent non-profit group practice; provides comprehensive care to all people, including those with special access needs who face barriers to care. Apple Tree offers employment opportunities in our Centers for Dental Health and at our mobile community clinic sites.
Job Title: Dentist
Reports to: Center Director or as designated
Purpose of Position: As an integral part of our dental team, you will be responsible for providing clinical dental services and preventive dental care in our clinic(s) or at one of our mobile community sites.
- Graduation from an accredited dental school (DDS or equivalent) required
- Completion of an accredited general practice residency or AEGD program preferred
- Knowledge of public health principles and practices preferred
- Unrestricted license to practice dentistry in the State of MN or CA required
- DEA registrations, if applicable
- Current CPR (BLS) from the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross
- Ability to maintain appropriate clinical privileges required, hospital privileges preferred
- Ability to obtain and maintain Professional malpractice insurance
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English are required. Effective oral communication skills in other languages preferred
Fundamental duties include (but are not limited to):
- Examine individuals requesting care, diagnose their dental/oral conditions, prescribes and carries out, or directs others in carrying out, appropriate dental/oral treatment, or refers individuals for specialty consultation or treatment in conformance with approved clinical protocols and guidelines
- Record patient-dentist transactions as they occur in the patient’s electronic dental record so that the dental record accurately and completely reflects the nature of the contact, the condition of the patient and the care or treatment provided. In addition the Dentist shall complete referrals, Electronic Health Record data collections, and other records or paper work as required from time to time by the company
- Compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and company rules, regulations, protocols and procedures governing the practice of dentistry and the clinical provision of dental care as well as those relating to, but not limited to, personnel issues, work place safety, public health and confidentiality
- Educate individuals in the nature of oral health related conditions and in the general promotion of oral health related disease prevention
- Assist in the provision of continuing education, on-the-job training, and the orientation of staff as requested
- As directed by the Center Director or Chief Operating Officer, perform other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives
- Collaborate with the Center Director or independently to lead clinical team members, as appropriate
- Serves/participates in special projects and other committees as assigned
- Attend all staff/department meetings
- Achieve and maintain all recordkeeping and meaningful use (EHR) criteria
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Fundamental expectations of this position include (but are not limited to):
- The passion to fully embrace and embody Apple Tree Dental’s mission, vision and values
- Comprehensive knowledge of primary dental care in various settings (outpatient clinic, nursing homes, Group Homes, Head Start centers, etc.)
- Possession of exceptional customer service skills, including a demonstrated ability to deal with patients with special needs
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of modern dentistry and periodontal patient care is necessary
- Must be cognizant of the public health, social and economic factors which impact the overall health, and more specifically the oral health of Apple Tree’s patients
- Must be able to collaborate with other health care professionals from a variety of disciplines to achieve maximal program effectiveness and patient benefit
- The ability to creatively solve problems through individual and/or programmatic action
- The ability to utilize and/or learn computer skills and systems such as; but not limited to: Open Dental software, Microsoft Office, and other systems as needed
- Scheduled to be “on call” after business hours as assigned
- Dependability and punctuality
- Willingness to travel on occasion if requested
Physical Expectations: Prolonged sitting or standing may be required. Those physical movements and the degree of mobility, manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination normally associated with the practice of primary care dentistry will be performed on a repetitive basis. The ability to distinguish letters and symbols, as well as the ability to utilize telephone, computer terminals and copiers is required. Work under stressful conditions as well as irregular hours may be required. Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, body fluids, toxic substances, medicinal preparations, radiation and other conditions common to a clinical environment may routinely be encountered.
- Listens to, understands and appropriately responds to patient/customer needs. Meets the reasonable needs of all patient/family/customer groups and improves overall customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrates professional behavior with his/her work. Complies with personnel and departmental policies. Supports and participates in quality improvement activities.
- Works actively with others to get the job done. Consistently exhibits courteous behavior/actions, including maintaining a positive attitude.
- Supports and participates in changes and discussions regarding work practices.
- Acts and speaks respectfully regardless of the presence or absence of the person. Frequently offers praise to others for doing a good job. Listens to and respects the opinions of others, and maintains confidentiality.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm and commitment towards personal growth and development; completes and attends mandated educational courses. Maintains current licensure and certifications, if applicable. Attends and participate in departmental meetings, and if unable to attend proactively asks or gathers missed information.
- Address issues in a courteous and respectful manner. Maintains the same standard for all patients/families and co-workers. Supports co-workers and patients/families in a positive manner.
- Follows safety practices. Identifies problems and works to resolve safety issues as they occur and in accordance with policy, asking for assistance when necessary. Helps and teaches others.